Two of my friends are having birthdays this weekend.There is 20 years difference in their ages and both are amazing women. The younger woman I have known for three years and the older woman has been my friend for more than 30 years. Now although I think it is useful to take an inventory every about where we are in our life, I don’t think it is appropriate to do an inventory for someone elses life. However it is quite appropriate for me to do a personal inventory about what their friendship means in my life.
1.They make me laugh which is the best stress management in the world.
2. They inspire me to be better, because a friend already thinks you are good enough.
3. I can say what I am thinking and they know I may be just thinking out loud, so they don’t hold me to it.
4. They trust me enough to be who they are and allow me the same privilege, even if somedays it is not our best self.
5. A friend helps you with your ideas if they are important to you even if they don’t understand what you are doing.
6. My friends are compassionate.
7. They are strong woman and together we are even stronger.
8. They are not afraid to reinvent themselves.
9. They are grateful for life, beauty, husbands, kids, grandkids, and lucky for me friendships.
10.They are working for the greater good in our world,and have no intention of stopping even if they are tired or frustrated.
I think that Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D. said it best in her book “Crones Don’t Whine.”
“A crone is a woman that has wisdom, compassion, humor, courage, and vitality. She has a sense of truly being herself, can express what she knows and feels, and take action when need be. She does not avert her eyes or numb her mind from reality. She can see the flaws and imperfections in herself and others, but the light in which she sees is not harsh and judgemental. She has learned to trust herself to know what she knows.”
Happy Birthday Roxy and Lisa, I hope you both live to be 100 and continue to allow me to be your friend.